6.03.2013

Craaaaiiiiig!!!

my vageen is falling off.

not possible I am sure but also, possible - I am sure.
all of this bike riding was fine and dandy... before the steep hills every single weekend. nowadays, she is always pissed. luckily, I found this website that tells me nothing I already did not know. but it at least reassured me that my vageen is not the only one falling off one's body.

bored of cycle news? resume reading after 4 cycle photos.


Mt. Hamilton was blessed with my friends and sweat and tears this past weekend... again.
this was the first time that, as I headed up I realized WAIT - how many times have I done this mountain now? I have lost track. maybe it is because I am elderly but maaaaaybe, it is because I am elderly.*
it was turning out to be a miserable-hot day. you know - the kind that amplifies the cicadas? I dislike that sort of hot. 4 people were in my group that day, plus one friend in high-tops on a mountain bike with a kick-stand that started earlier (his bad-assery is both obvious and exponential). but only 3 out of our 5 made it to the top. the heat was a major enemy. mile after mile I passed strangers that had pulled over in to the shade. every time I asked if he/she was okay, I would get an indiscernible YES-nod followed by a "keep on going" hand signal.
not a comfortable way to leave someone.
about 2 miles from the top, I passed a man laying in the shade, back against a tree, nearly stripped of all biking gear in an attempt to cool off his bald salty head. he asked me to tell his friend Craig at the top that he was not going to make it.
that is one way to motivate me to get there I suppose.

upon arrival, we took our first official tour of the Lick Observatory (yes, I found Craig first). coincidentally, the Observatory was celebrating its 125th year. we learned several interesting factoids like, James Lick's body is buried underneath the Observatory (um...?), Mr. Lick had a very large... beard, the floor takes approximately 2 minutes to raise to the level of the telescope allowing you to see through it, the 'desk' controlling the telescope looks like something out of Star Trek, and the walls are original and not finished.


happy anniversary Lick Observatory! thank you for giving me (and thousands of others) an amazing prize every time I reach the top of Mt. Hamilton Rd.

in other news...
...why aren't YOU killing the bugs? said me to Romeo
...O_O said Romeo to me
...*see what I did there?

No comments: